View, print, download and share the 2013 Rulebook below. Have questions? Contact us.
Official USLMRA Rules Summary
The following is a summary of the official USLMRA Racing Handbook (Rulebook) and General Competition Regulations. Modifications should only be made after consulting the Handbook. This summary represents extracts from the Handbook, but is not a complete account of the Official Rules. Be sure to download your copy of the Official Rules by clicking on the book!
- Drivers must be members of the U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association or must race as part of a sanctioned USLMRA Affiliated Club (AC).
- Drivers must be 18 years of age. Drivers 8-17 years of age can race with parental permission.
- All drivers must sign a release discharging the USLMRA from liability.
- Events are open to all self-propelled rotary or reel style riding lawn mowers.
- The mower must originally have been designed and sold commercially to mow lawns.
- It must remain suitable for lawn cutting, apart from the modifications permitted in the Handbook.
- Every mower entered in any USLMRA event must be approved for competition by Technical Inspection.
- Any mower may be re-inspected at any time by the Chief Steward or Chief Technical Inspector.
- CUTTING BLADES MUST BE REMOVED COMPLETELY FROM ALL MOWERS.
- Non-stock mowers must be equipped with an automatic throttle closing device.
- All mowers must be equipped with an engine safety cut-off switch.
- Mower brakes must be in good condition, operating on at least 2 wheels.
- Fuel must be pump gas. The only additive allowed is STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer.
Driver Safety Equipment
- Every driver must wear an automobile racing or motorcycle-type safety helmet.
- Every driver shall wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, gloves and proper shoes on the track.
- It is MANDATORY that all drivers wear an “approved for racing” neck support.
Rider Mower Classification
- Stock Class: As delivered from the factory with blades removed.
- JP Class: Class for kids ages 10-15.
- IMOW Class: (Int’l Mowers Of Weeds) Front engine, highly regulated.
- Prepared Class: Prepared (modified) drive train, engine, etc.
- FX Class: Major modifications allowed.
U.S. Open Events
- U.S. Open Kids Stock (5mph max)
- U.S. Open Super Stock (Un-Governed Single Flat Heads and Shiftable Transaxle or Transmissions only)
- U.S. Open Single, F/XS
- U.S. Open Twins, F/XT